My Son is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s the best spot in Vietnam to study the surviving culture of the splendid past time. Taking private car transfer from Hoi An to My Son is a great choice. You have your own car and driver. You can depart anytime you like. Here are 2 ways to get to My Son Sanctuary from Hoi An
- Private transfer from Hoi An to My Son:
This is the most comfortable and expensive way to visIt My Son. Price is about 35 USD- 45 USD. You can depart anytime you like.
2. Renting a motorbike from Hoi An to My Son
It is a popular choice for backpackers because of its low cost and flexibility. Tourists can rent a motorbike at a price of $5 in Hoi An Ancient Town and pay for $3-4 for fuel. On the way to My Son, visitors can stop by Tra Kieu capital, the former administrative centre of the Champa Kingdom and they may also visit other tourism destinations such as Thanh Ha pottery village and Kim Bong carpentry village. Tourists can also easily stop to take photos of broadening paddy fields and peaceful scenery on the road.
Driving directions from Hoi An to My Son
- Get out of Hoi An Ancient Town, you go in the direction of Vinh Dien via Hung Vuong Street. You keep following it about 7 km until you pass under a highway.
- Go south by turning left on highway at the T-junction (Ngã Ba Vĩnh Điên)
- Drive about 7 km to Nam Phuoc intersection ( Nga 3 Nam Phuoc) and take a right at a blue sign for My Son.
- Keep going, after 7 km you will see Tra Kieu church on the left side. From there, keep following the signs for 30 km until you reach the entrance for My Son.
- The roads are not bad although there are few curves near Hoi An and lots of dust near My Son.
- Tips: You better write down some Vietnamese words on a piece of paper such as: Hội An ( Hoian)à Đường Hùng Vương (Hung Vuong Street) – Ngã 3 Vĩnh Điện (T junction) àQuốc lộ 1 A= highway 1A- south à Ngã 3 Nam Phước Nam Phuoc intersection à Tra Kieu church (nhà thờ Trà Kiệu)à Mỹ Sơn
- Joining a guided tour
A tour booked through a tourism agency may take you more than 6 hours. The tour guide will pick tourists up at your hotel and provide a long briefing on My Son Sanctuary before giving them a little time to explore the site. Their visiting time is rather short because the bus often stops at restaurants of the agency’s acquaintances for eating, drinking and shopping souvenirs.
There is a big bus tour to My Son, which departs daily. You can choose My Son Bus- Bus tour or My Son Bus Boat Tour.
Price: 6- 8 USD/ 1 pax
Book My Son Bus Tour with http://www.yourlocalbooking.com/tours/hoi-an/hoi-an-tour–my-son-bus-bus-tour-39.html
Tips for visiting My Son
- The best times to hit the temples are early in the morning (leave your accommodation to get to My Son by 7:00 am) before the blazing Vietnamese heat gets started (if you’re there during summer months) and the large tour groups roll in
- Make sure to wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes, and bring hats and sunscreens. My Son is in the jungle so you will do a lot of walking there.
- Take water and snacks with you because no one sells them in the relics.
- There is a 15 minute Cham dance and music show 3 times a day
Ticket Price and Costs
Opening time: 8:00 to 17:00
Entrance tickets: VND150,000 for foreigners and VND100,000 for local visitors
Motorbike parking: VND5,000
Guided tour: US$5 (excluding entrance ticket and food)
My Son Sanctuary is really a must-visit for those who appreciate history. It would be a great to add My Son to your list of things to do for your next trip in Hoi an.