My Son is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s the best spot in Vietnam to study the surviving culture of the splendid past time. Taking private car transfer from Hoi An to My Son is great choice. You have your own car and driver. You can depart any time you like. Here are 2 ways to get to My Son Sanctuary from Hoi An
Private transfer from Hoi An to My Son:
This is the most comfortable and expensive way to visIt My Son. Price is about 35 USD- 45 USD. You can depart any time you like.
Duration: 4-5 hour. Our driver will wait you around 2-3 hour to visit My Son.
If you want to rent a tour guide, that cost will be 25$/ half day tour.
|Route||Hoi An – My Son Sanctuary- Hoi An||35$||45$||55$|
2. Renting a motorbike from Hoi An to My Son
It is a popular choice for backpackers because of its low cost and flexibility. Tourists can rent a motorbike at a price of $5 in Hoi An Ancient Town and pay for $3-4 for fuel. On the way to My Son, visitors can stop by Tra Kieu capital, the former administrative centre of the Champa Kingdom and they may also visit other tourism destinations such as Thanh Ha pottery village and Kim Bong carpentry village. Tourists can also easily stop to take photos of broaden paddy fields and peaceful scenery on the road.
Driving directions from Hoi An to My Son
- Get out of Hoi An Ancient Town, you go on the direction of Vinh Dien via Hung Vuong Street. You keep following it about 7 km until you pass under a highway.
- Go south by turn left on highway at the T-junction (Ngã Ba Vĩnh Điên)
- Drive about 7 km to Nam Phuoc intersection ( Nga 3 Nam Phuoc) and take a right at a blue sign for My Son.
Keep going, after 7 km you will see Tra Kieu church on the left side. From there, keep following the signs for 30 km until you reach the entrance for My Son.
- The roads are not bad although there are few curves near Hoi An and lots of dust near My Son.
- Tips: You better write down some Vietnamese words on a piece of paper such as: Hội An ( Hoian)à Đường Hùng Vương (Hung
- Vuong Street) – Ngã 3 Vĩnh Điện (T junction) àQuốc lộ 1 A= highway 1A- south à Ngã 3 Nam Phước Nam Phuoc intersection à
- Tra Kieu church (nhà thờ Trà Kiệu)à Mỹ Sơn
3. Joining a guided tour
- A tour booked through a tourism agency may take you more than 6 hours. The tour guide will pick tourists up at your hotel and provide a long briefing on My Son Sanctuary before giving them a little time to explore the site. Their visiting time is rather short because the bus often stops at restaurants of the agency’s acquaintances for eating, drinking and shopping souvenirs.
- There is a big bus to My Son, which departs daily. You can choose My Son Bus- Bus tour or My Son Bus Boat Tour.
- Price: 9- 10 USD/ 1 pax
- Departure time: 8.00 a.m- 8.30 a.m
- Finished time: 1.00 p.m of Bus Bus Tour or 2.30 p.m for Bus Boat Tour
If you can get up in the early morning, you can do My Son Sunrise Tour that departs at 5:00 – 5.30 a.m every day.
- Price: 12- 13 USD/ 1 pax
- Departure time: 5.00 a.m- 5.30 a.m
- Finished time: 9.00 p.m of Bus Bus Tour or 12.00 p.m for Bus Boat Tour
Tips for visiting My Son
The best times to hit the temples are early in the morning (leave your accommodation to get to My Son by 7:00 am) before the blazing Vietnamese heat gets started (if you’re there during summer months) and the large tour groups roll in
Make sure to wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes, and bring hats and sunscreens. My Son is in the jungle so you will do a lot of walking there.
Take water and snacks with you because no one sells them in the relics.
There is a 15 minute Cham dance and music show 3 times a day
Ticket Price and Costs
- Opening time: 8:00 to 17:00
- Entrance tickets: VND150,000 for foreigners and VND100,000 for local visitors
- Motorbike parking: VND5,000
- Guided tour: US$5 (excluding entrance ticket and food)
My Son Sanctuary is really a must-visit for those who appreciate history. It would be a great to add My Son to your list of things to do for your next trip in Hoi an.